In this challenge there is one easy winner Samsung but which Samsung 10.1 wins might surprise you.
Updated 13 May 2011- It is being widely reported today that Samsung is about to introduce black and white 10.1 models some with 4G as well as different sizes. So I am going with 6 models for now, we will see if how this story matures.
I was delighted to hear that Samsung was releasing their new 10.1 Galaxy Tab named the 10.1v, (or P7100) it launched in Australia before the US, UK or the rest of Europe.
SO does that mean there is another model ?
Oh yeah, the US is getting the 10.1 (not 10.1 v)
Actually the USA is due to get 2 models (at least) the 10.1 wifi only and the 10.1 3G / Wifi .
Then there was the Google i/o 2011 this week and eBay was flooded with the tablets Google gave away on day 1.
Better still they were offering what they called the Google i/o GT special edition or GT P7510
In this model there are some differences, it is bigger and lighter than the 10.1V so it is the 10.1 , but there is no SD card slot , so it is just like the 10.1 but with no SD card slot (Like the 10.1V)
The story goes that the 10.1V was well out the door prior to the Apple iPad being announced, Samsung went back and ‘improved’ on the 10.1V and now has the 10.1. which is lighter than the 10.1V and Apple iPad.
But it has some compromises as well.
So when I was trying to decide which version to review/buy/get the decision was easy after all there wouldn’t be much difference surely.
- Lightest – Well the 10.1 is the lightest, biggest and thinnest compared to the 10.1V. - Winner 10.1
- Best Video Quality (playback) - the 10.1V - Winner 10.1V
- Best Camera – 10.1 has a 3MP camera and the 10.1V has an 8MP camera and 1080p vs 720 on the 10.1 -Winner 10.1V
- Best Looking – well the 10.1GT with the white android back is a limited edition - Winner 10.1G
- Best Memory/ Storage – 10.1 has a microSD card the 10.1V and 10.1G do not – Winner 10.1
- Best Phone Reception – only the 10.1V and 10.1 3G have sims – Tie 10.1 3G and 10.1 V
- Longest battery life – battery in 10.1V is 6860 mAh in 10.1 6800 mAh - Winner 10.1V*
* needs to be verified if bigger battery = longest life.
One thought is that Samsung will try to sell out of the 10.1V as soon as possible and then introduce the thinner 10.1 in parts of the world that got the 10.1V
But is the lighter, bigger 10.1 better, I don’t think so.
What do you think ?