1 March 2007
Story Courtesy of Lib Setag
Oops Microsoft, I did it again. Installed vista upgrade like a full version.
Ok, Ok I know you had read about a complicated trick, where you install vista upgrade in a funny way and wow it works.
All you want is a clean install and hey you even own a licensed copy of xp..good man (or woman).
But I accidentally did this a different and easier way and wow it really works, I duplicated it 3 times on 3 different machines (with 3 different licenses Microsoft).
I was bound to mess up my install but what I found was even better.
1) Installed your vista install as a clean full install (you can wipe your drive 1st if you like) not upgrade and go through the entire install per normal. Make sure you unclick the activate now, and untick get update boxes. Do not install your license key yet.
2) Let it do it’s thing, reboot when asked etc.
3) Once completed 100% then try to activate your key (it should fail) go to activiation, put in your LEGAL code.
It says this is the wrong version for your key…oops..
4) 🙂 Best install it again… install it and keep in the SAME partition.. again do NOT install your key in this part of the activation. Keep all boxes unticked as before go through the install and reboot ready for it to work.
5) It will say that the old version of windows will be renamed window.old..cool thanks
6) once done rebooted and ready to roll go back to activation ent. oops says it is installed already..reboot computer..
Again… says it is being a duplicate number (DO NOT REBOOT)…do it again.. .
7) After doing twice by accident… it worked.
9) Delete window.old.
PS I called MS to ask about this after it worked 3 times and asked what I should do (being a moral citizen and everything).
There suggestion format c: reinstall xp then reinstall vista….Hmmm …not
I then escalated it and was told…we have no idea…
Regards, Lib Setag