Updated 13 December 2012
Here is the link to this ignore the rest
Windows 8 on a little older Quadcore PC also kills the power output on the USB 2.0 Port. This software fixes it regardless of motherboard
Let me know if it worked for you also
Updated 14 January 2011
This proved to be a popular blog when I ran it 8 months ago. It addressed a new driver from motherboard manufacturer gigabyte, that allowed you to charge you iPad on your PC (not something possible before). This updated free driver, also allows you to charge other devices that worked before even faster and this update adds a few updates to all of that, and it makes that pesky ‘this device is not charging nag screen go away.
By pure coincidence, I went to reinstall this driver and found an update released today ok I am a bit psychic (& psychotic) , but the driver solves some other problems as well such as clearing your USB trash, caused when you remove USB devices all the time. Here is the link, it goes to Chinese first but should offer to translate to your native language depending on your browser. You are looking for on/off charger driver but
here it is
I note on download and installation it is a bit different than the original driver .
it took 1 minute to download, extract and install.
- The driver is 1.61 mb (very small takes a few seconds to download)
- It is a compressed exe file so you will need to extract it to a folder on your desktop etc.
- When extracted, it creates 1 folder called ‘on/off charge’ and creates 2 files inside setup.exe and setup.iss
- Run the set-up, reboot your pc and you are done
How to Tell it is Working
- When you installed the driver it would have asked you to re-boot your PC if properly installed.
- It is very discreet there are no whistles, or bells.
- If you have an iPad you would notice on the iPad it would have said it was not charging before now it is charging
- If you start to re-run the set-up.exe it will ask you if you want to modify or reinstall the software.
- It is a driver so there is no anti-virus software issues
- Anything more technical speak to gigabyte, I am just a blogger not the manufacturer
- If in a corporate environment consider speaking to your system administrator, he might enjoy using this across the company it is pretty sweet.
- Tell your freinds
Motherboard manufacturer Gigabyte are Gods.
They have introduced a tweakdown-loadable , that allows iPads to now be charged from PC’s and laptops, via the USB port . An issue many were not aware they had and plague others that were aware of this.
I will use gigabyte motherboards for ever more because of this, it is a BIG deal.
On the site is a list of the motherboards it works for but mine is older and it worked just fine.
The additional upside is it charges iPhones and iPods faster as well.
Judging by the coverage of this page Gigabyte was getting slammed so moved the link of the driver (nice). I have updated it.Worth noting that though this driver is specfic to gigabyte, I have heard from dozens of folks it works on motherboards other than gigabyte.
Happy for you to share the story please be nice and give a shout out to news-knut/mrinternet when you do. Mac bloggers (you know who you are)